PERTH CHEAP EATS
6:31:00 PM
Before landed on Perth, I actually did some 'homework' on eateries. After went through Google searching for cheap eats around Perth CBD, guess what?! Most of the bloggers / travelers recommended Japanese, Korean and Vietnamese restaurants & cafe! It's weird but interesting at the same time finding out that there's actually abundant of Asian eateries in Aussie. ( All I know before this was, there's only a China Street - at Northbridge, which sells Asian food. lol. I must be living decades ago )
Walking down the streets, probably along Murray St and Barrack St, you'll see people eating banh mi ( Vietnamese sandwich, like Subway ) while holding a cup of Taiwanese bubble tea. (珍珠奶茶) What a perfect combination! Instead of cold drinks like bubble tea in a freezing cold day, I ate a lot of rice and drank bowls of soup. It's winter everybody, winter! Fyi, I had Asian meals throughout 80% of my trip. wtf.
Walking down the streets, probably along Murray St and Barrack St, you'll see people eating banh mi ( Vietnamese sandwich, like Subway ) while holding a cup of Taiwanese bubble tea. (珍珠奶茶) What a perfect combination! Instead of cold drinks like bubble tea in a freezing cold day, I ate a lot of rice and drank bowls of soup. It's winter everybody, winter! Fyi, I had Asian meals throughout 80% of my trip. wtf.
1.
This is a place where you can get authentic big portion delicious ramen.
It stays forever on top of the list cause everybody seems like getting crazy about it. ( It was ranked 3.5/5.0 on Zomato, 4.4/5.0 on Facebook ) We gave it a try on the second day of our trip after Freshmade ( another Japanese cafe eat in Perth CBD ) disappointed us the day before. Since then, we had this almost everyday for lunch in CBD area. Hahas! #loyaltygamegoingstrong
It stays forever on top of the list cause everybody seems like getting crazy about it. ( It was ranked 3.5/5.0 on Zomato, 4.4/5.0 on Facebook ) We gave it a try on the second day of our trip after Freshmade ( another Japanese cafe eat in Perth CBD ) disappointed us the day before. Since then, we had this almost everyday for lunch in CBD area. Hahas! #loyaltygamegoingstrong
Shoyu Ramen / $11.00
JUST LOVIN IT! This bowl contains ramen soaked in a Shoyu ( soy sauce ) flavor soup with roast pork ( chashu ), bamboo shoots, both fresh and dried seaweed, bean sprouts, spring onions and decorated with sesames, which added extra aroma into this bowl. I've substitute the normal egg noodles ( yellowish ) with spinach infused noodles ( green ), with addition of $0.50 only! If you wish to upgrade the size ( portion ), it's $13.00 for each bowl, which can satisfy 2 adults.
As for me, ramen is a good choice during winter, especially below 10 degree celcius. What I love NAO is, their broth was superb, not too salty or heavy. Everything were well-controlled. Coming to the noodles, they were extremely springy. When it comes together with the generous amount of bean sprouts, they gave a pretty nice texture! It's so nice until I finished the last drop of soup. lol. ( I eat better than your pet )
Miso Ramen / $11.00
It's a must to have this bowl of goodness before flying back to Malaysia! It was real good, omg I can't even look at this right now, cause it makes me super hungry! More or less, it was similar to Shoyu Ramen, the only difference was the broth. In case you didn't know, miso is Japanese soy bean paste. Compared with Shoyu which I had it earlier, I love this bowl more haha! Most probably because of the perfectly cooked miso soup. Other than that, it was the last chance for me to have this ramen cz I guess I can't get this in anywhere else other than NAO. ( except I fly to Japan, lol )
Gyoza / $4.50
We ordered fried pork dumplings (comes in 4 pieces) as snack / starter while waiting for our ramen. Frankly speaking, they were just ordinary gyoza, nothing special hahaha. ( What did you expect? It's just gyoza heh. Chill la. ) I even forgot the paste given was sweet or salty. *laugh*
Teriyaki Chicken / $11.50
Since my parents craved for rice ( they're typical Asian, so as me. ), we had this one plate dish at NAO. The chicken gives a pretty smooth texture and the specially made teriyaki sauce was so perfect! It's NAO's secret recipe and I couldn't really tell how it taste... Anyways, 反正 it's nice!
Fyi, there's indoor and outdoor sitting, well, don't worry about the outdoor seat, it's so warm as long as you can feel the sun. ( in winter ) The only reminder is, please be there earlier to avoid crazy queue! ( It would be perfect to be there by 11.30am. )
NAO Japanese Ramen
Address: 117 Murray St, Perth WA 6000, Australia
2.
First of all, Taka is really famous whenever people mention about cheap eats in Perth. There are 3 branches of it located at Barrack St, Shafto Lane and Frementle respectively, the one I went was at Barrack St ( since it's within walking distance from my hotel at Hay St. )
By the way, this was the cheapest meal we ever had in Perth, nonetheless it was super fast! ( their speed of preparing our food was seriously no joke. )
Salmon Don / $8.20
This was my Dad's favourite! The salmon was sliced perfect thickness, the texture was nice too! I could have two bowls of this!
Assorted Sushi / $8.20
This one comes in 12 pieces. We ordered this just to make sure we're full for dinner or as a starter heheh. It was not very special but not too bad, I like it anyways, cause it was fresh in terms of all the ingredients! not only the salmons or fish slices ( idk their names haha )
Chicken Karaage / $8.50 ( free miso soup )
By the way, this was the cheapest meal we ever had in Perth, nonetheless it was super fast! ( their speed of preparing our food was seriously no joke. )
Salmon Don / $8.20
This was my Dad's favourite! The salmon was sliced perfect thickness, the texture was nice too! I could have two bowls of this!
Assorted Sushi / $8.20
This one comes in 12 pieces. We ordered this just to make sure we're full for dinner or as a starter heheh. It was not very special but not too bad, I like it anyways, cause it was fresh in terms of all the ingredients! not only the salmons or fish slices ( idk their names haha )
Chicken Karaage / $8.50 ( free miso soup )
Since Taka was well-known for their chicken karaage, we just gave it a try although I'm in fever. lol. It's Japanese style fried chicken, served together with a bunch of lettuce and a piece of lemon hahaha. But one thing to mention is, the skin of chicken was pretty crispy ( as you know, the 'criuk' 'criuk' sound? ) and then the meat was perfectttt! Not dry at all! It was juicyyyyy in every bite! I was damn envy looking at my parents finishing almost the whole plate while drinking the free miso soup :'(
Honestly, Malaysian fried chicken still the 'Number 1 Fried Chicken' in my list! The second would be Korean, and Japanese after that. I didn't know how I felt in love with fried chicken but one question in my head, is there even people who hate fried chicken exists? Seriously? But the one I love most was my grandma's 南乳炸鸡 <3 ( Chinese style fried chicken with fermented tofu )
Taka Barrack Street
150 - 152 Barrack St., Perth WA 6000
Tel: 08 9221 4771
Tel: 08 9221 4771
Taka Shafto Lane
Shop 5 & 6 Shafto Lane, 347 - 417 Murray St., Perth WA 6000
Tel: 08 9324 1234
Tel: 08 9324 1234
Taka Frementle
Shop 2 Old Shanghai, 6 Henderson St., Fremantle WA 6160
Tel: 08 9335 7676
Tel: 08 9335 7676
3.
We didn't really plan to dine here until we passed by the shop! It was so crowded, you even have to wait for seats during peak hours. But it's okay! Good food deserves the wait. Right? :)
Extra Side Dish / $3 ( 4 plates )
Korean side dish was one of the reason I love Korean food. This restaurant is running by the real Koreans, not foreigners as you always see here in M'sia. Need not to mention, everything taste extra authentic. If you're a K-drama fan, there's always a scene a mother / grandma will scold their children for not eating red beans. ( right corner dish in the picture ) I personally felt it was a too salty, but it's nice to eat together with rice, just like how you eat your fried egg and rice by adding some soy sauce!
Wok-fried Sweet Potato Noodles with mixed Seasonal Vegetables / $4.00
Spicy Pork Stock / $9.00
Sizzling Non-spicy Diced Soy Pork BBQ / $8.00
Sizzling Sweet & Spicy Pork Riblet BBQ / $9.00
#fingerlickinggood
I would rate this as the best Korean dish in Perth!! I had a decent time enjoying these riblets! I can't really describe how good it taste, but those who likes to eat 'bones', you should try this out at least once in your lifetime! lol. I can eat 3 bowls of steamed rice because of the chili sauce. No joke man, my dad even tried to make this when we're back home. Probably because he missed this too much although we ate this almost everyday in Perth. *laugh*
127 Barrack Street, Perth CBD, Perth, WA
(08) 9225 4260
Opens daily 11:30 AM to 8:30 PM
Hope you enjoy reading this!
Will be sharing more on my trip to Perth in upcoming posts.
Stay tuned!

















2 comments
Asian food in Aussie?! Seriously.... hahaha. I was expecting fish and chips those lol. All the food you had looks really appetizing nonetheless! <3 drooling already
ReplyDeleteYeahhh honestly, I had only one Fish & Chips in Perth. They said all are same so I went for their best at Ciccerelo, Frementle. Will blog about it real soon! too busy thesedays... *cry*
Delete